The CCM 5 offers two selectable directional patterns but uses only one membrane – a no-compromise approach. The fact that full response is maintained to the highest audible frequencies is unusual for a switchable-pattern microphone.
In its omnidirectional setting, the CCM 5 is a true pressure transducer with a smooth, extended low-frequency response, low sensitivity to most wind and breath noise, handling noise or mechanical vibration, and no proximity effect.
Unlike conventional, dual-diaphragm multi-pattern microphones, its cardioid setting retains its full directionality even at very low frequencies. The benefits of this design in purity and clarity of sound are immediately audible.
The CCM 5 has a slight high-frequency emphasis as compared with the corresponding single-pattern omni (CCM 2) and cardioid (CCM 4).
- omni and cardioid patterns, mechanically switchable
- slight emphasis of the high frequencies
- broad range of applications
- preferred uses similar to those of the CCM 2 or CCM 2S and the CCM 4: In the cardioid setting: for use with singing or speaking voices or most instruments, as a spot microphone, and for stereo recording with coincident, ORTF or M/S microphone arrangements
The CCM 5 is nearly an all-purpose microphone. It is what we recommend for those starting out with the CCM series, unless particular circumstances (such as the need for greater directivity or a bidirectional pattern) would indicate a different choice.
(Please note: The pattern selector should be definitely set to one position or the other; in-between settings will yield undefined results.)
VARIANTS & OPTIONS
- No. 191701 “Matching of microphone capsules including certificate”: Although our normal production tolerances are very close, we can deliver specially matched compact microphone pairs.
- The CCM 5 is available in the L-version only (with removable connecting cable).