d&b audiotechnik 4S 2-Way Coaxial Passive Loudspeaker
An excellent choice for fixed installations, such as theater and opera houses, nightclubs and bars, and houses of worship, the d&b audiotechnik 4S is a 2-way, point-source loudspeaker with a 4″/0.75″ coaxial driver combination and passive crossover mounted in a highly compact sealed enclosure. Coaxially mounting the 4″ neodymium LF driver and 0.75″ wide-dispersion dome tweeter gives rise to a very compact cabinet with 100° constant directivity and high-frequency dispersion. Its coaxial driver configuration enables the 4S to be used in an either a horizontal or vertical orientation. The enclosure is injection molded with an impact and weather-resistant (IP34 rating) black or white paint finish. the lightweight 4S can be used as a standalone system thanks to a frequency response of 130Hz to 20kHz. The 4S can also be supplemented in the low frequencies via subwoofers from the d&b audiotechnik xS series.
d&b audiotechnik 4S—At a Glance:
- Point-source loudspeaker
- Installation-specific, 2-way loudspeaker with wide dispersion
- 4″ LF neodymium driver and 0.75″ dome tweeter
- 100° conical dispersion, which can be used in a horizontal or vertical orientation
- Max SPL 118dB
- Injection molded cabinet with impact-resistant black or white finish, suitable for outdoor use
- Neutrik NL4 connectors (2)
- Light-weight; 2 lb. (1 kg)
- Available in all RAL* colors with weather resistance up to IP34**
d&b audiotechnik 4S—Parsing the Details:
The 4″/0.75″ coaxial 4S is capable of a maximum SPL of 114dB when used in conjunction with either the d&b 10D or 6D amplifier (recommended), and 115dB SPL when used with the d&b D20, D80, or 30D amplifiers. Its 130Hz to 20kHz frequency range enables it to be used as a standalone system. For deeper bass extension, the 4S is compatible with any of the subwoofers in the d&b audiotechnik xS series.
With an impact-resistant finish, the 4S enclosure is injection molded with an impact-resistant black or white finish. The front of the loudspeaker cabinet is protected by a rigid metal grill backed by an acoustically transparent foam. The cabinet is fitted with a pair of NL4 connectors and a two-pole screw terminal block. The 4S is suitable for outdoor use.
The 4S rear panel incorporates two M8 threaded inserts to accept the Z5401 Wall mount S. Using the M10 socket of its ball joint adapter, the loudspeakers can be connected to different d&b mounting accessories such as:
▪ Z5029 TV spigot
▪ Z5034 Stand adapter
▪ E6532 Super Clamp
▪ Z5035 M10 to 3/8″ adapter
The loudspeaker cabinets and most accessories are also available with the Special Color (SC) option that can be executed in all RAL colors, while the Weather Resistant (WR) option provides an IP34 rating, and enables the operation of loudspeakers in changing ambient conditions.
*RAL is a color-matching system that defines standard colors for varnish, powder coating, and plastics. It’s the most popular Central European color standard used today.
**The IP Code or International Protection Rating, sometimes also interpreted as Ingress Protection Rating. IP34: Protected from Tools, thick wires, etc. Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect.
The four-channel, 400W (@ 8 ohms) d&b 10D and D6 amplifiers are recommended to drive the 4S in applications where medium to high sound pressure level (SPL) capabilities are called for. The d&b D20, D80, and 30D can also be used.
- Theater and Opera
- Nightclubs and Bars
- Houses of worship
- Other installations where compact, light-weight enclosures are required
For assistance ordering or configuring a d&b audiotechnik system with 4S point-source loudspeakers, call or chat online with your Parsons Audio Professional today.
- Frequency response (–5dB standard) 130Hz–20kHz
- Frequency response (–5dB CUT mode) 180Hz–20kHz
Max. sound pressure (1m, free field)1
- with D6/10D: 114dB
- with D20/30D: 115dB
- with D80: 115B
Cabinets per amplifier channel
- Configuration: Installation-specific 2-way compact coaxial loudspeaker
- Nominal impedance: 16 ohm
- Power handling capacity (RMS/peak 10ms) 60/400W
- Nominal dispersion angle (h x v) 100° conical
- 4″ driver with neodymium magnet
- 0.75″ dome tweeter coaxially mounted
- passive crossover network
- 2 x NL4
- screw terminal block
- H: 5-15/16″ (150 mm)
- W: 4-11/16″ (120 mm)
- D: 4″ (102 mm)
- 5.5 lb. (2.5 kg)
1 1 m, free field, SPL max peak test signal: pink noise with crest factor 4