The R-122 MKII is a compact, monaural, phantom powered ribbon
microphone with a switchable -15 dB pad and a low cut filter. Sonically
similar to our groundbreaking R-121, the R-122 MKII exhibits a
flat frequency response and a well-balanced, panoramic soundfield,
but it’s 13 dB more sensitive and has a faster transient response,
giving a sense of more open highs. Like the R-121, it is capable of
handling high SPL applications.
The R-122 MKII’s -15 dB pad is positioned before any other electronics,
giving the microphone 15 dB more headroom for high SPL work.
The low cut filter is configured to reduce proximity effect for close
miking and vocal applications and effectively filters rumble.
The R-122 MKII’s active electronics produce an output comparable to
studio condenser microphones and provide an optimum impedance to the ribbon
element, preventing overdamping of the ribbon and assuring consistent microphone
performance. The high gain and low output impedance of the R-122 allow it
to operate with any microphone preamplifier with phantom power, and also allows
for use with long cable runs.
The R-122 MKII utilizes a low mass, 2.5-micron, pure (99.99%) aluminum ribbon
element in a patented offset-ribbon transducer assembly. The smooth frequency
response and phase linearity of the R-122 MKII, coupled with its sophisticated
active electronics system, enable it to deliver a consistent natural acoustic performance
with extraordinary realism. Frequency response is excellent regardless of
the angle of sound striking the ribbon, and off-axis coloration is negligible.
The R-122’s patented offset-ribbon design positions the ribbon element toward the
front of the microphone body, which allows for high SPL handling on the front (logo)
side and the option of a slightly brighter response when recording lower SPL sound
sources on the back side (3 feet and closer; phase reversed in this position).
R-122 MKII FEATURES
• Active electronics provide high output capability, optimal impedance to the
ribbon element, extremely low self-noise and low output impedance
• -15 dB pad and low cut filter provide greater flexibility and increased headroom
• High SPL capabilities for electric guitar and percussion instruments
• Absence of high frequency peaks, “ringing” and phase shifts
• Ribbon element unaffected by impedance/load, heat or humidity
• Operates on standard 48-volt phantom power
• Gold plated XLR contacts
• Close and distant miking
• Electric and acoustic guitar
• Vocals, commercial broadcast, voiceover
• Brass, horn sections
• Drum overheads, kick drum (see manual for position), room miking
• Percussion instruments
• Strings – solo & sections
• Acoustic piano, harp
• Live events – recording and sound reinforcement