The Gyraf G23-S Equalizer is aimed mainly at mix and mastering – for the situations where you have a mix that is already nearly perfectly balanced, but you want it a tad darker or brighter without messing up the overall definition.
The Gyraf Audio G23-S Equalizer is an elaboration of Gyraf Audio’s G23 Equalizer, where they added a selectable option for either solid-state or tube audio path.
The Gyraf Audio G23-S is an updated version of Gyraf Audio G23 – now including an option for selection between all-solid-state technology or classic tube circuitry. Gyraf Audio added an additional step to the bypass switch – marked “S” – which instantly shifts you into solid-state land: Inputs become differential instrumentation type instead of the transformer, active equalizer stage gets controlled by a state-of-the-art opamp, and the output stage gets servo-balanced instead of tube/transformer drive.
What sets it apart from all other EQ designs is that Gyraf Audio designed it around a highly linear 1dB/oct slope filter so that rotating the control will adjust an almost ruler-straight response curve, to a maximum steepness of 1dB/Oct. So what you achieve in the 1dB/Oct ambler function is to “spread out” or distribute the “needed” phase roll across the whole spectrum, meaning that at any given interval, only minute amounts of group delay are apparent. In total, it allows quite some correction without sounding “Eq’ed”. And because you’d occasionally want to correct the outer ends of the spectrum, they have added a gentle Baxandall tone control, shelving lows and highs, wide-Q bell mid, each at three selectable frequencies, that they spent quite some time optimizing.
Gyraf Audio G23-S Equalizer Features
- Mainly for mixing and mastering
- Option for selection between all-solid-state technology or classic tube circuitry
- Designed around a highly linear 1dB/oct slope filter
- Gentleness and subtlety are G23-S design targets
Gyraf Audio G23-S Equalizer Specifications
- Topology: Pure Class-A
- Inputs: Floating, Transformer Balanced
- Input Impedance: 10K Ohm “Bridging” Type, 24K Ohm Servo-Balanced
- Input/Output Connectors: Standard XLR Jacks, Pin 2 Hot
- Outputs: Floating, Transformer Balanced
- Source Impedance: < 500 Ohms, Servo-Balanced at < 50 Ohm
- Optimum Operating Levels: Around +4dBu
- Operating Voltages: 220-230V AC, 35W, US Version; 110-120VAC
- Mains Fuse: 630mA Slow-Blow Type, US Version; 630mA Slow-blow (“T”) Type
Gyraf Audio G23-S Equalizer Includes
- Gyraf Audio G23-S Equalizer
- Power Cord
- 4 x Rubber Feet
- User Manual
- 2 Year Warranty